Sunday, May 1, 2011

Capitol Peak 50





So I usually make this blog all about the kids. But yesterday I did something I haven't done before and thought I'd share some photos from the event.

I ran my first ultramarathon yesterday. The race was 50 miles long and was run in the Capitol State forest here near Olympia. The course had about 7,000 feet of climbing and descent and was run on single track trails through the woods. Terrain was rocky, covered with tree roots and mud puddles. It was my third trail run ever. And I can tell you, trails are SO much different than roads. The day was cool, in the 50's for a high, and foggy at the top of the mountains. Thankfully no real rain to speak of, only some misting along the way! I finished in 10:08, which averages to a 12 minute mile. I ran just about all of it, but had to walk several steep inclines and made several stops due to an upset stomach. My stomach gave me serious issues from about mile 20 until mile 35. I was able to self-correct by changing my drink and eating some real food. The kids came out to watch me finish and I was so happy to see them. I spent most of the day alone on the trail and thought of all my friends and family who helped me get there. Thanks to all of you for inspiration!

A special thanks to Paul who is an amazing friend and spent his entire day out on the course with me. Knowing he was waiting at aid stations helped me so much! He also took these awesome pictures!

I had a lot of fun and am looking forward to doing it again! I am training for the Cascade Crest 100, which is run on August 27th and 28th.

No comments:

Post a Comment